Growing up in Arizona for most of my life, the weather stayed sunny and warm, if not hot, most of the year. Experiencing 4 months of bone-chilling cold, gray skies, and occasional snow days has got me fantasizing about becoming a “snow bird.” Needless to say, I’m still adjusting to the winter season in the Carolinas. Thankfully, spring is just around the corner!
Springtime is notorious for making a checklist about things to clean, clear, or just get rid of. Putting your house list aside, when was the last time you spring cleaned your life? Envision yourself beginning a new season feeling uncluttered, renewed, and fresh!
- Renew your spirit by doing something fun. Kids are not the only ones who should play. While opportunities to play look different for adults, it is equally important to do something fun. What are you waiting for?!
- Purge one thing in your life that brings you down. Negativity is powerful and can dictate how you experience life. By working to decrease the negative things in your life, you create space for goodness to flourish!
- Upgrade your attitude by finding one thing to be thankful for today. Life is full of hardships and it is easy to focus on those difficult things. On the other hand, life is full of positivity. Highlight the good things that you experience, even if they are small, to cultivate an uplifting feeling.
- De-clutter your mind. Spring is a time to get rid of the clutter you don’t need. What clutter is filling your mind and preventing you from taking the next step towards greater fulfillment? Perhaps journal to get the things racing in your mind out on paper or bounce your thoughts on someone else.
- Clean up your relationships. Has something been lingering in your relationship that causes anxiety, frustration, or hopelessness? The best remedy may be communication “elbow grease.” Finding some uninterrupted time and taking a non-reactive stance may be your best “cleaning agents.” Communication is key in cleaning up messes in relationships.
After a long winter, enjoy the sun and warmth that spring brings! If you like this checklist, but want more…consider talking with a licensed professional in a confidential setting to support you as you “spring clean” your life.