Couples & Addiction Recovery (Professional Workshop)
Date & Time: February 1st, 2019 – 9am-5pm
Location: Hilton Garden Inn SouthPark – 4808 Sharon Rd. Charlotte, NC 28210
Cost: $325 professional (includes a comprehensive clinical tool kit)
We offer a registration discount for students. Please contact us for more information.
Thanks to the following sponsors who have partnered with Connect Couples Therapy, PLLC & The Gottman Institute to make this event possible:
Gold Level: The Blanchard Institute & The Refuge
Silver Level: Journey Pure
Bronze Level: Summit Behavioral Healthcare
Couples and Addiction Recovery is a groundbreaking new training for therapists, counselors, and professionals who work with couples struggling with addiction as well as couples in recovery from alcohol, drugs, and/or behavioral addictions. This workshop draws from the fields of addiction treatment, mental health, and couples counseling, and integrates current research findings with knowledge from clinical practice.
It integrates more than a decade of research by Dr. Robert Navarra with the Sound Relationship House model, developed by Drs. John and Julie Gottman. Dr. Navarra has worked in addiction recovery for over 25 years. He holds an Advanced Drug and Alcohol Certification and a national certification as a Master Addiction Counselor through the Association of Addiction Professionals (NAADAC).
This training provides interventions and tools for a relational approach to healing that addresses three different but overlapping recoveries to include: the person with the addictive disorder, the partner, and their relationship.
What will I learn?
You will learn a research-based approach to help couples:
- Identify addiction
- Break through denial
- Navigate the challenging road from active addiction to recovery
- Improve conflict management skills
- Learn the difference between “codependency” and “interdependency” and how to identify and set appropriate boundaries
- Develop a relationship recovery, while supporting their partner’s recovery and strengthening their own individual recovery
- Heal from the aftermath of addiction
- Move toward wellness as individuals and as a couple
The tools and interventions taught in this workshop are adapted from Gottman Method Couples Therapy to help develop a Couple Recovery plan through increasing communication and understanding, establishing appropriate boundaries, and healing from the impact of addiction and recovery. Participants will be provided with tools to use immediately in their offices or clinics to work more effectively with individual couples and/or with small groups of couples.
Who is this training for?
This workshop is for mental health therapists, counselors, social workers, clergy, military family life chaplains, life coaches, recovery coaches, professors, students and professionals who work with couples affected by alcohol, drugs and/or behavioral addictions.
No prior experience or training in the Gottman Method is required; however, therapists who work with couples will greatly benefit from having at least completed Level 1 Gottman Method Couples Therapy.
What is included in the price?
Each participant will receive materials designed to help therapists and counselors effectively facilitate assessments, interventions, and exercises with their couples that can be used immediately following the workshop. All addiction assessments and exercises may be photocopied as handouts for couples.
- 170-page Couples and Addiction Recovery Training Manual
- Couples and Addiction Recovery Training Certificate of Completion
- 4 Card Decks
- My Recovery
- Your Recovery
- Our Recovery
- Developing Rituals of Connection
- Up to 6 CE Hours available
At the completion of this training, you will be able to:
- Summarize three assessment techniques for identifying addiction
- Apply therapeutic techniques to help break denial of addiction
- Describe and apply two techniques for helping couples in addiction recovery manage conflict
- Practice techniques designed to help couples develop or strengthen a relational approach in addiction recovery
- Describe the three components of the Couple Recovery Development Approach
- Analyze demonstrations of Gottman Method Couples Therapy techniques adapted to assist couples in addiction recovery
Located in the South Park neighborhood of Charlotte, the Hilton Garden Inn is newly built is situated in a prime location with Starbucks, Whole Foods, the South Park Mall, & many restaurants within walking distance. A block of rooms have been reserved for this event. Rates are $129 for Thursday night and $119 for Friday night (Mention Room Block Code: Drew Bitar). Call 704.362.5080 or click HERE to make your reservation.
CEUs Available for Mental Healthcare Professionals (additional $40). Click HERE to purchase.
Couples affected by addiction are hungry for a framework to help heal their relationship. I highly recommend this important training for addiction treatment centers running family programs. It provides new research, insights, clinical structure and effective materials that can be used by therapists and staff to help couples build new relationship bridges.Courtney Strong
Since I am already trained in the Gottman method, it was really helpful to learn new, yet similar, interventions that can be applied specifically to couples working through addiction and recovery.Anonymous
We needed this – I see so much substance abuse and addiction in the couples I work with. It’s nice to have a strategy.Anonymous